Moving went much more smoothly than I had imagined it would. It didn't seem like we had that much stuff...until we started to pack it all. When we went to pick up the U-Haul I thought I had reserved one that was MUCH too big. Oh boy. I was w-r-o-n-g. We filled up all 24 feet of that thing. It's amazing how much stuff you accumulate in such a short amount of time! I am going to make a conscious effort to minimize the things that we don't use so that the next time we move (hopefully in a LONG time) will be even easier than it was this time around. Step 1- only one junk drawer. Step 2- unpack every box- find a place for everything and throw it away if you can't find an appropriate space for it!
Things we learned from moving:
1. Throw stuff away. Seriously, if something has been sitting in a box you didn't unpack from the last time you moved, toss it. Clay & I both had stuff still in boxes from when we moved into our last house when we got married! I've gone through most of mine, but I can't say the same about my better half.
2. Visit www.uhaul.com, rent a truck, and save time & money on gas. Best idea
3. Bribe friends and family to help. (can I just say one more time that y'all are amazing!?)
4. Call and arrange all of the power/internet/water/cable transfers ahead of time because usually it can't be done the day you call!
5. It's okay if everything isn't decorated the way you want it in the first week.
6. Take before & after pictures...they'll be fun to look back at!
7. Making small talk with the cable guy is awkward, especially when he calls you on your cell phone from outside your house to read the satellite signal numbers to him.
8. Bring home the paint swatches because they look much different in your house. :-/ Goodbye pink shabby room, hello lilac!
9. Breathe. Enjoy it. Don't stress!
Thanks again to our family and friends for making this such a smooth move! We love you!